These are a family favourite! I’m not a massive fan of beef so ham burgers are a way to please us all. Chorizo adds extra flavour and the stringy mozzarella inside is great fun for little ones. It’s quick and easy to prepare and a good one to get your children involved with preparing. We have been having these at barbecues recently and have been going down a treat!
Makes 8 burgers
400g sausage meat
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C/gas 6
- Put sausage meat into a mixing bowl. Apart from the mozzarella, put the rest of the ingredients into the blender and give a good mix until it is well blended.
- Mix together the ingredients from the blender in with the sausage meat. You may have to use your hands for this.
- Line a baking tray with tin foil. Split the mix into 8 balls roughly the same size.
- Flatten out each ball and place a piece of mozzarella into the middle. Fold over all the edges into the middle so the cheese is completely cover. Roll into a ball and flatten a little on the baking tray.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes. Serve with salad in a nice bread roll.
Top Tips: I use sausage meat to make the burgers. You can also use pork mince which is a bit more pricey or you can use the insides of sausages which is a yucky job but is the same as the sausage meat.
If you don’t have any crackers available, you can use breadcrumbs. The bread in my house never has the chance to go stale to be used as bread crumbs.
If your burger mix is too wet, add more bread crumbs or crackers and if it is too dry, mix in a whisked up egg.