This is a great recipe to make with kids, plus my two love eating them as a snack! You can add extras such as herbs, sesame seeds or even different types of cheese. With the leftover dough I used a small cutter to make biscuits.
150g cheddar cheese, grated
50g butter, soft and cubed
150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
75 ml milk
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper or just lightly grease if you prefer.
- Sieve the flour and cayenne pepper into a large mixing bowl. Add the cheese and butter, run together with your hands until it turns into crumbs.
- Gradually stir in the milk until it forms a dough. You may not need all of the milk. Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured kitchen side. Knead the dough for 5 minutes and then roll out with a rolling pin until it is 3mm thick.
- Cut the dough into a square shape (save the extra dough for biscuits). With a long knife, cut the square in half and then cut into 3cm strips.
- Twist each strip and place on the baking tray. Cook in your preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let them cool before eating.